Problems with Cyton firmware upgrade, "no target found"

edited January 2018 in Cyton
Hi there,

we´ve had a couple of problems with the openbci recently regarding the firmware update.

Summary:
After having repeated issues with the GUI freezing or not recording some signals we decided to do a firmware upgrade to version 2. After having successfully done the firmware upgrade and having installed the latest processing version and the latest openbci GUI the board could not connect to the dongle anymore, i.e. we always got the error 'init timeout' in the GUI. Because it could connect before the firmware update, we tried to downgrade to firmware v1, which did not work. Now we wanted to redo the firmware update to version 2 which also did not work. We tried three times and on the second and third time got the error message 'no target found'. Question: how can we complete the firmware upgrade and get the openbci to record data again?

Details
System: Windows7, 64bit
Board: cyton, 8-channel, 32bit
we are using the latest processing version (3.2.3) and the latest openbci GUI.
we followed the firmware update tutorial on this site step by step: http://docs.openbci.com/Hardware/05-Cyton_Board_Programming_Tutorial
we completed first the board and then the radio tutorial.
The first firmware update was successful, but after trying to downgrade and upgrade again it gave us the error 'no target found'. The part in the troubleshooting section did not help. We also tried different com ports.
Any help is much appreciated.

Best,
Nicolas

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA
  • Try using the Radio Config tool embedded inside the new GUI to make sure your radios are on the same channel! It's right next "autoconnect button"
  • Hello, I am a team member of @kito (a.k.a Nicolas). We are trying to solve this problem to finally use OpenBci in our upcoming experiment at School of Mind & Brain at the Charitee University, Berlin. http://www.mind-and-brain.de

the exact message we get is like follows:
    Der Sketch verwendet 61908 Bytes (50%) des Programmspeicherplatzes. Das Maximum sind 122880 Bytes.
    Globale Variablen verwenden 11468 Bytes (34%) des dynamischen Speichers, 21300 Bytes für lokale Variablen verbleiben. Das Maximum sind 32768 Bytes.

No target found.
    Beim Hochladen des Sketches ist ein Fehler aufgetreten
    Programmer for Microchip PIC32 microcontrollers, Version 2.1.24
    Copyright: (C) 2011-2015 Serge Vakulenko

All in all I have the feeling to agree with @pushtheworld that the problem is in the radio connection. When I start the new GUI I get this Error message directly at the beginning:

Uncaught Exception:
    Error No compatible USB Bluetooth 4.0 device found!
    at BluetoothHciSocket.bindUser
    with several following lines hinting to app.asar\node_mod...:11 8 35 13 and 18

The other thing/suspicion is that I cant turn the device into bootloader mode to upload the code. When I set the board into bootloader mode
    pressing RST and PROG and then releasing them in correct order after
    turning the device of, it starts to blink but rather quick blinking than
    pleasant blinking as here in the tutorial described
    (http://docs.openbci.com/Hardware/05-Cyton_Board_Programming_Tutorial).

thank you for your help.
    Mert

• I'm going to make a YouTube video when I get into HQ today of upgrading.
  • edited January 2017
    @mertakbal "Error No compatible USB Bluetooth 4.0 device found!" is from the Ganglion side of the GUI. This will not be a problem for using the Cyton, because the Cyton uses a wired connect. The dev for GUI was done on Macs and we never see that pop-up. Thinking about how we can avoid this problem on windows.

Have you tried using the radio config utility embedded inside the new GUI?

Which version of Arduino are you using by the way?
  • For re-programming the RFDuinos you want to do you will need to flash each radio twice!

Call the function "radio.flashNonVolatileMemory()" above the "radio.begin(MODE, CHAN_NUM)" function call where CHAN_NUM is the channel you want to program. See gif: http://g.recordit.co/utcdExu89M.gif 
    Now press upload.

Then remove or comment out "radio.flashNonVolatileMemory()" line and re upload. See gif: http://g.recordit.co/mUkRvMMDZm.gif

Be sure to remove that flashNonVolatileMemory line because you do not want to be flashing that memory space every time you power cycle.
  • edited January 2017
    @mertakbal Great News!!!

The new OpenBCI GUI has a tool to solve this problem in one Click! 

I made a gif of how to fix the "no target found"

• @pushtheworld thank you for your efforts. Unfortunately I tried both solutions and both failed.

OpenBCI GUI gives the above mentioned "Error No compatible USB Bluetooth 4.0 device found!" during launch of the GUI software, before it comes to the selection of Ganglion or Cyton. And even if starts thenafter the Autoscan  on Radio Configuration tools gaves the message "Failure: System is Down".

I also tried to flash the rfduinos again. Actually I was aware of the twice flashing with and without the "radio.flashNonVolatileMemory()" line before, as it was described in the hardware tutorial site.
    And last time (before writing to forum here) I did this that way. But probably at that time I put the line after the "radio.begin(MODE, CHAN_NUM)" instead of putting it before. As I tried to do the same I get this error on the Arduino interface "expecting 14, got 46 fail.......fail.......fail......." when I use the correct port com7 and all the other ports give just "fail fail fail".

I have the feeling if I can flash the radios again then it would work. But now this last error "expecting 14, got 46 fail.......fail.......fail......." I couldnt solve.

I use Arduino 1.5.8 for radios and on the next step I deinstall it and use 1.8.1 for the Board flashing.

By the way I can open the very last link from recordit.co but not the gifs before.

• edited January 2017
    Ah this sounds like you are not holding the pins well enough on the board or the board is not powered. I saw on the github the proper photo is not shown so I will dig that back up and put it in for the 32 bit board in a little bit! The 4.0 USB has nothing to do with Cyton. Working on an update for the windows version that would not start the ganglion hub until the ganglion option is selected so you never see that message unless you try to load the windows page. https://github.com/OpenBCI/OpenBCI_GUI/issues/111
  • Oh ok. Thats the same problem windows ganglion-cyton-4.0usb issues. then its okey.

But concerning the real problem a bit confused now. Which pins shall I hold? The board is powered with batteries and blue LED is on.
  • oh ok. I have overseen this. I have to buy the pins.
    I will give feedback as soon as I can, probably monday, whether or not it worked.
    thanks and have a good weekend.
  • @mertakbal

I just put a PR into the staging branch for the OpenBCI_GUI to fix the popup issue you see because you are not using the ganglion. 
  • khofstadterkhofstadter Cambridge, U.K.
    edited January 2018
    Hello, 

When trying to update the board I get this error message below. 
    Could you help? 

Thanks, k

Build options changed, rebuilding all
    Archiving built core (caching) in: /var/folders/65/7xb70t691n3_kq1m4h2npz240000gn/T/arduino_cache_277622/core/core_chipKIT_pic32_openbci_3673bd49d96baf13125ec6706ae7e435.a
    Sketch uses 88452 bytes (71%) of program storage space. Maximum is 122880 bytes.
    Global variables use 10948 bytes (33%) of dynamic memory, leaving 21820 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 32768 bytes.

No target found.
    An error occurred while uploading the sketch
    Hi @tedor2. I merged your question on "no target found" into this existing thread.

See the earlier post above by AJ @pushtheworld, a video link,

William

• edited January 2018
    Hi there,

I'm Trying to upload the defaultBoard sketch but everytime I do so, I get:

Sketch uses 88452 bytes (71%) of program storage space. Maximum is 122880 bytes.
    Global variables use 10948 bytes (33%) of dynamic memory, leaving 21820 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 32768 bytes.

No target found.
    An error occurred while uploading the sketch

What is this problem trying to say, and how can I fix this?
    @Naseebullah, hi.

Merged your question into this existing thread.

• khofstadterkhofstadter Cambridge, U.K.
    edited February 2018
    Hello All, 

I am troubleshooting, here a video: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eaf86md9ydookr4/AADGuTQh1jhVXpfdOyNGgRAGa?dl=0

Could anyone give me some hints on what I am doing wrong? 

thanks, k

P.s: Thanks William, I tried the OpenBCI app with the suggestions in the video, but it didn't find a connection. 
  • edited February 21
    Hi

I am trying to upload the firmware to the cyton board and I am facing some issues.

When I try to upload the code using Arduino IDE, an error pops up stating: "No target found". When I try to get the status using the GUI, it states "Error reading from Serial port. Try a different port?" I am using Ubuntu and virtual com. As I understand VC for FTDI is inbuilt for Linux kernal.

I would really appreciate some assistance on this.  
  • I'm having similar issue, i have tried using mac and windows 10 with Arduino 1.8.5

• Same issue on Win10
    edited February 21
    Hi @ejujuardo, @gbernal, @vkanal. I merged your questions into this existing thread on the topic. Can you look over some of the previous posts for suggestions?

In previous posts, AJ @techsupport, @pushtheworld, @ajk, suggested:

"Try using the Radio Config tool embedded inside the new GUI to make sure your radios are on the same channel! It's right next "autoconnect button""

Do your boards work with the GUI currently? Does the dongle show up as a COM or /dev/tty port when plugged in?

Regards,

William

• Hi @wjcroft

The Radio Config tool returns the message: Error connecting to serial port. Try a different port?
    Trying to use the GUI as normal returns the error: Opening COM4: Access denied

This leads me to believe that there is something wrong (or I did something wrong) with the RFduino on the dongle.

Here are the steps I followed to upgrade:
    Using Arduino 1.5.8 BETA
    With Dongle set on RESET, flash RadioPassThru32bit.
    With Dongle set on GPIO_6 and connected to board (board NOT in bootloader mode), flash RadioDevice32bit
    Made sure to flash it once with the volatile memory line and then without it and also set radio channel to 4
    With Dongle set on RESET, flash RadioHost32bit
    Made sure to flash it once with the volatile memory line and then without it and also set radio channel to 4
    Using Arduino 1.8.8
    With Dongle set on GPIO_6, board in bootloader mode, flash DefaultBoard
    this step fails with message: No target found.

Let me know if I'm doing something wrong and thank you so much for the help!
    "Access denied" sounds like an operating system permissions issue. Have you tried running the GUI and/or Hub as root / administrator?

• I've been running it as administrator this whole time.

After flashing the RadioHost32bit on to the dongle, regardless of everything else, the GUI should be able to access the dongle right? Am I doing something wrong in that process?
    edited June 24
    To reiterate some suggestions.

* Referencing the previous posts / solutions that have worked for others: in particular using the Autoscan feature in the GUI to synchronize radio channels in the RFduino's on dongle and mainboard. When out of sync, this is what is known to cause the "no target found".
    * Do you see a COM port appear / disappear, when you insert / remove the dongle?
    * Do you have the recommended FTDI drivers?
    * Have you tried running the GUI from the Processing IDE, vs the standalone? Latest version GUI?
    * Have you tried your test on another laptop, in case there might be something odd with usb or FTDI setup?