Help with "Control Arduino Using Your Brain and OpenBCI“ tutorial

andylamcuhkpsyandylamcuhkpsy Hong Kong
edited July 4 in Cyton
Hi there, greetings from Hong Kong!!!

We are following the "Control Arduino Using Your Brain and OpenBCI“ tutorial, and I found myself lost at the point where I should set up the electrodes for making use of the Focus Widget.

Do I setup up four electrodes at Fp1, Fp2, TP7 and TP8, as shown in one of the pictures in Step9 of the instructables?

Please give us some pointers, as we are new to this.

Many thanks.

Comments

• wjcroftwjcroft Mount Shasta, CA
    Richard @retiutut may have some tips.
  • retiututretiutut Louisiana, USA
    edited July 4
    @andylamcuhkpsy Yes, you are correct!

I borrowed the some of the pictures in the Instructable from the Headband Tuturial Doc 

As you can see in the above picture, we have highlighted Fp1, Fp2, TP7, and TP8. 

This is a great configuration to read Focus data from a Ganglion or Cyton board. The Focus Widget only looks at channel 1 (Fp1) and channel 2 (Fp2).

How is this raw data processed? Here is a link to the source code for the Focus algorithm!

Enjoy!
  • I see. Thanks guys. We will try again today. Wish us luck!!!
    edited July 5
    I've updated the tutorial in Step 9 to explain the electrode placement!
  • Thank you, retiutut.

It is now much clearer to beginners like us.

We had things setup exactly as what is stated in the tutorial, and are now learning to toggle the Focus Widget with the brain waves.
    I personally find it takes some practices to maintain in the unfocused–state -- but I thought that was the "easier" part

I understand that you guys stated that "mediating" with the eyes closed could help bringing the brain in the focused state -- that pretty much works every time with the eye closed, and alpha wave increased. But, we are looking for things that we could do to maintain oneself in the unfocused state.

I will continue to experiment more on this myself, and also with some other colleagues.

Ultimately, we are hoping to use the Focus Widget controlled Arduino to control some remote toys, shown in some of the other tutorials.
    Interesting stuff, indeed.

Thanks again.
    edited July 5
    @andylamcuhkspy I am the author of the Instructable! Thank you for the awesome feedback! Researchers have used OpenBCI technology to do amazing things, and I wanted the technology to be more accessible for first-time users. Simulating the "focused" state with synthetic data is a great way to check that the Arduino is connected properly before using Live data.

I really like that you are trying to find ways to force the "not focused" state. If you find something that works reliably, please let us know here on this forum thread!

I've just designed and printed a desktop fan that I will control with the Arduino. I will add it to the Instructable when it is done. Still waiting on a motor driver to come in the mail.